Here are some questions to consider about homeschooling:
- What are your motives/reasons for home educating?
- What goals do you have for your home-educated child and yourself as parent-teacher (this particular “school year” and the future)?
- What is your educational philosophy (such as Traditional Classroom Model, Unit Study Approach, Charlotte Mason, Classical, Eclectic, etc. )?
- Commit this decision to the Lord and spend time in prayer.
If you are thinking of Homeschooling, here are a few helpful links:
CHEO (Christian Home Educators of Ohio) – A good starting place if you don’t know what to do.
HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association) – For legal guidance.
OAC (Ohio Administrative Code) – Lawriter link to Ohio Administrative Code regarding homeschooling.
If your child has special needs, here are some additional helpful links:
- Renee Silvaroli (email@example.com), Director & NATHHANOhio representative
- OUCH has available “Ohio Special Needs Resource Packet” containing a variety of up-to-date brochures, resource lists, addresses, etc. It includes national and local resources.
- State OUCH Newsletter. quarterly/1 year subscription
- Various topics for workshops and meetings
- Resource table for events.
- A national and international support network for families with special needs who home educate.
- Offers a lending library, magazine/newsletter quarterly, and a family directory.
- Link: NATHHAN
- c/o The Lane Learning Center
- This program evaluates your child’s perceptual skills, screens for potential problems, and provides activities to help develop those skills.
- Learning styles assessment (K-adult) and other diagnostic tests for all subjects.
- Modest prices. Parent administered.
- Link: Diagnostic Prescriptive Services
- Home-based child development programs ranging from rehabilitation for the severely brain injured to the development of accelerated programs for the gifted.
- An Ohio division will be opened in the Columbus area.
- Contact NACD or OUCH for the latest information and phone numbers.
- Link: NACD
- Provides free information to assist parents, educators and others in helping children with disabilities.
- Link: NICHCY
- June/July 1994 Issue, Special Section: Learning Difficulties
- Also available through OUCH in their resource packets.
- Link: Teaching Home Magazine
- Through the Carroll County Board of MRDD
- 2167 Kensington Rd, Carrollton OH 44615
- 330-627-7651 contact person: Ann Meyers
- Not a Christian organization but can offer valuable help.
- Great resources and hard-to-find books on ALL needs
- Not Christian – some discernment in browsing needed
- Purchases add to the NATHHAN library c/o OUCH Ministries
- Link: Special Needs Project